1 Overview of the Islands Pass
Unlock hundreds of years of history at some of the top attractions in the west of Scotland.
An Islands Explorer Pass is the ideal way to enjoy the heritage sites of the Western Isles and west coast of Scotland.
Island Explorer Pass benefits:
- Visit six paid sites for £18 – a saving of more than £15 for an adult visitor
- Pay only once
- Valid for 30 consecutive days
- Also available for purchase at Caledonian MacBrayne ticket offices and at participating sites
The Islands Explorer Pass is valid from April to September only.Buy Islands Pass online
2 Where your pass can take you
The Islands Explorer Pass includes entry to the following sites:
- The Blackhouse, Arnol, a traditional, fully furnished Lewis thatched house
- Bonawe Historic Iron Furnace, the most complete charcoal-fuelled ironworks in Britain
- Dunstaffnage Castle and Chapel, which once dominated Loch Etive
- Iona Abbey and Nunnery, an ancient holy place and powerhouse of Christianity founded by St Columba in 563
- Kisimul Castle, the best-preserved medieval castle in the Western Isles
- Rothesay Castle, a unique stronghold of the royal Stewart dynasty
3 Prices, pass types and savings
Adult: Individuals aged 16–59
Concession: Individuals aged 60+, students in full time education (on production of valid ID), unemployed persons (proof of Universal Credit or other qualifying benefit required)
Child: Aged 5–15 yrs (children under 5 admitted free)*
Family: Two adults and up to six children aged 5–15
* Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Adult prices for Western Isles and west coast attractions:
- The Blackhouse, Arnol: £5.00
- Bonawe Historic Iron Furnace: £5.00
- Dunstaffnage Castle and Chapel: £6.00
- Iona Abbey and Nunnery: £7.50
- Kisimul Castle: £6.00
- Rothesay Castle: £5.00
Total cost £34.50
An Islands Explorer Pass offers entry to all of these sites for £18 – that’s a saving of £16.50.Buy Islands Pass online
4 How your pass works
Your Islands Explorer Pass becomes valid after your first site visit and is valid for 30 consecutive days from its first day of use. Multiple sites may be visited in any one day. Only one visit per site is permitted. This pass is non-refundable and must only be used by the named signatory.
The Islands Explorer Pass is valid from April to September only.
When you buy an Islands Explorer Pass online, you’ll receive an email with your pass attached as a PDF. This can be printed and used at any paid site in the Western Isles and west coast of Scotland. You must select the date of your first visit when purchasing a pass online – your pass will become valid from this date.
You can also buy an Islands Explorer Pass in person at the first Historic Scotland property you visit, or from any Caledonian MacBrayne ferry.Buy Islands Pass online