Unlock hundreds of years of history at some of the top attractions in Dumfries and Galloway.
The Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass is the best way to explore the abbeys and castles of south west Scotland and save money.
Benefits of the Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass:
- Visit nine sites for £20 – a saving of more than £10 for an adult visitor
- Pay only once
- Valid for 30 consecutive days
- Also available for purchase at participating sites
The Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass is valid from April to October only. Passes will be available to buy online or at participating sites from 1 April.
2 Where your pass can take you
The Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass includes entry to:
- Caerlaverock Castle, the epitome of a medieval castle with its moat, gatehouse and imposing battlements
- Threave Castle, a massive 1300s tower built by Archibald the Grim
- Sweetheart Abbey, the majestic ruins of a church founded in 1273
- Dundrennan Abbey, the retreat of Mary Queen of Scots and where she spent her last night on Scottish soil
- MacLellan’s Castle, the remains of a late 1500s tower house
- Cardoness Castle, ancient home of the McCullochs, with excellent views over Fleet Bay
- Glenluce Abbey, a beautiful and peaceful ruin with an exhibition of artefacts
- Whithorn Priory and Museum, the site of Scotland’s first church, founded by St Ninian in the AD 400s
- New Abbey Corn Mill, a still-functioning water-powered mill dating to the 1700s
3 Prices, pass types and savings
Adult: Individuals aged 16-59 yrs
Concession: Aged 60yrs+, Students in full time education (on production of valid ID), Unemployed (proof of Jobseekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Income Support required)
Child: Aged 5-15 yrs (under 5s admitted free) *
Family: Two adults plus up to 6 children aged 5-15 yrs
* Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Adult prices for the Dumfries and Galloway attractions:
- Caerlaverock Castle £5.50
- Dundrennan Abbey £4.50
- MacLellan's Castle £4.50
- New Abbey Corn Mill £4.50
- Sweetheart Abbey £4.50
- Threave Castle £4.50
Total cost £28.00
You can visit all these sites with a Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass for £20 – a saving of £8.
4 How your pass works
Your Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass becomes valid after your first site visit and is valid for 30 consecutive days from its first day of use. Multiple sites may be visited in any one day. Only one visit per site is permitted. This pass is non-refundable and must only be used by the named signatory.
The Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass is valid from April to October only.
When you buy a Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass online, you’ll receive an email with your pass attached as a PDF. This can be printed and used at any paid site in Dumfries and Galloway. You must select the date of your first visit when purchasing a pass online – your pass will become valid from this date.
You can also buy a Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass in person at the first Historic Scotland property you visit.
Historic Environment Scotland
Telephone: 0131 668 8999