Our Ranger Service is based at Holyrood Park, Linlithgow Peel and the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site, and works on sites across our estate. As well as patrol and survey sites and assist the emergency services, our rangers educate visitors of all ages about our sites.
Rangers give visitors the chance to learn about the many different aspects of the special places they protect. Guided walks, group tours and other events led by the Ranger Service cover history, wildlife, folklore and much more.
2 Ranger Service events
The Ranger Service runs a wide range of walks, talks and events throughout the year. Open to all ages, abilities and levels of knowledge, these events aim to raise awareness, understanding and enjoyment of our sites.
Search for Ranger Service events near you.
3 Learning visits
Our Ranger Service takes a flexible approach to working with a broad range of learners.
When working with schools and groups, our rangers aim to:
- share insights into a site’s wildlife, geology and history
- encourage a sense of ownership and commitment to the future of our sites
- help young people to better understand environmental issues
School classes can participate in a programme of structured activities linked to Curriculum for Excellence or opt for a self-guided visit.
Our education service also extends to nursery, college and university groups.
Community groups can explore with our rangers diverse topics of interest, from citizenship to creative writing.
Our Ranger Service teams can:
- work with teachers and community groups to develop tailored activities suitable for individual groups
- lead secondary, college and university groups on a wide variety of topics and interests
- provide extra support with physical or intellectual access for groups with additional support needs
Holyrood Park and Linlithgow Peel Rangers
Telephone: 0131 652 8150
Orkney World Heritage Site Rangers
Telephone: 01856 841732
4 Holyrood Park Education Centre
Learning groups can use our education centre, with or without a ranger.
The education centre offers:
- wet weather accommodation
- classrooms fully equipped for our activities
You should get in touch at least four weeks in advance if you’d like to use our education centre.
Historic Environment Scotland
Holyrood Park Education Centre
1 Queen’s Drive
Telephone: 0131 652 8150
5 Maps and guides to download
The Ranger Service offers detailed guides to the sites it protects.
Holyrood Park Map and Guide [PDF, 361KB]
Holyrood Park Points of Interest [PDF, 194KB]
Holyrood Park Self Guided Walks [PDF, 627KB]
Holyrood Park Climbing Guide [PDF, 490KB]
Holyrood Park Fishing Guide [PDF, 528KB]
No camping or overnight parking is permitted in the park. Please review our official guide, which includes suggestions for campsites nearby.