Join the celebrations on Scotland’s first ever Heritage Awareness Day on Friday 6 October:
- its taking place everywhere, the whole way across Scotland
- everyone can take part
- you can celebrate it your way
This year, the day focuses on five themes:
2 Get involved
Heritage Awareness Day is open to your own interpretation – after all, heritage can mean so many different things to different people.
Let us know what these themes mean to you or hold a themed event and spread the world.
5 ways to get involved
- Research someone in the community who played a big part in local history and share your findings – anyone from Mary Queen of Scots to Andy Murray!
- Share a photograph of your favourite building or spot in your local community and why it means so much to you.
- Use a coffee morning or community event to place a spotlight on your local heritage! Share your memories and photos and help bring the past to life.
- Create a heritage time capsule. Include traditional objects, a family recipe, a story that has been passed on and family photograph.
- Remember you saw The Beatles in the Pavilion dance hall? Or went to your first football match? Do you have a ticket or a picture of the venue? Share them online with your favourite memory. Join the conversation online using the hashtag #heritageday17.
Looking for inspiration or help to promote your event?Explore our resources