Explorer Pass terms and conditions
These terms and conditions refer to Historic Scotland Explorer Pass, the Regional Explorer Pass and the Group Explorer Pass.
- Explorer and Group Explorer Passes entitle the holder to free admission to any Historic Scotland property subject to opening times as advertised.
- Regional Explorer Passes are valid for 30 days after first use and can only be used at properties in those regions.
- Please refer to purchased pass for validity period applicable.
- Group Explorer Passes must be signed.
- These passed do not include properties in the care of The National Trust for Scotland, members of the Historic Houses Association, the Palace of Holyroodhouse or those in care of private trusts.
- Holyrood Abbey is in our care, but to visit the abbey you must pay the entrance fee to the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
- The pass is valid for one entry per site.
- Historic Environment Scotland will not be held responsible for any lost passes or dates marked in error by the pass holder.
- Historic Environment Scotland reserves the right to request proof of age and can confiscate the pass and refuse entry to anyone with the wrong category of pass. Categories are: Adult (16-59), Concession (60+, students in full time education and unemployed), Child (5-15) and Family(two adults and up to six children aged 5-15). Student ID will be required and children must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Family category does not apply to the Group Explorer Pass.
- All passes must be validated and signed prior to, or on arrival, by the pass holder and displayed on arrival at each property.
- If this pass has been purchased through a third party organisation, please contact them directly for any queries or complaints regarding the sale of this pass.
- An additional fee may apply at any Historic Scotland special events.
- Passes are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Some sites may close in winter/operate reduced hours, please check in advance.
- Maeshowe is by timed tour only, which must be booked online in advance.
- To guarantee entry to Lochleven Castle all visits must be booked in advance.
- To arrange a visit St Vigeans Sculptured Stones, call 01241 878 756.
Customer Service Team
Historic Environment Scotland
Telephone: 0131 668 8999