A photo of the employees of Dallas Dhu Distillery, taken in the spring of 1920. Manager Boswell James Fairley is seated in the front row, in suit and tie, beside the barrel. To his left are the maltmen, with the wooden shovels they used to turn the barley. This is an important step in whisky making, as it helps the grain to germinate prior to the distilling process.
At the time, Dallas Dhu was owned by J. P. O’Brien and Company Ltd., Glasgow. It ran the distillery for a brief spell after the First World War but went bust in 1921. Whisky continued to be made at Dallas Dhu by its subsequent owners, right up until 1983. Dallas Dhu then passed into state care.