Explore a wealth of objects from archaeological settlements, castles, abbeys, historic houses and industrial sites in our care – including many of Scotland’s most culturally significant objects.
This large and diverse collection provides a key source of evidence for understanding and appreciating our properties and everyday life and key events in Scotland’s past.
Explore our collections of:
Search our collections
- architectural fabric – from elaborately carved stones to colourful window glass
- archaeology – finds discovered at our properties, from prehistoric necklaces to medieval shoes
- sculptural stones – some of Scotland’s most distinctive carved stones, including Pictish symbol stones and crosses
- social history – objects representing domestic, personal and community life
- industry – objects associated with industrial production from cotton to whisky
- maritime – objects connected with lighthouses, shipping, whaling and fishing
- military – a daunting array of weapons, armour, uniforms and medals
- fine and decorative arts – creative works representing landmarks, buildings and personalities from Scotland’s past
- books and archives – printed media relating to our properties, from company archives to antiquarian library collections